Tuesday, February 21, 2006

American Literature 101

When all else fails (and I usually have no other recourse besides "You dumbass!"), I like to call that psycho a "loser" who somehow must still want to be in my life. Why else does she so frequently (and easily) make me the butt of jokes? And that blog!

Yet... Arthur Miller wrote a whole play about a loser, Willy Loman (google, it, girls). The Everyman with an oversized sense of entitlement, bitter because things aren't the way he feels they should be. Rails against life and his loved ones. Has trouble distinguishing between illusion and reality; dreams of greatness; grandiosity and self-deception propels him forward. The play is considered by many to be a caustic attack on the American Dream.

Like Willy, I don't come to anagnorisis- full self-realization. Willy kills himself while I complain endlessly yet do nothing in my life of torpor, punctuated by stints on myspace, looking for "company."

That crazy bitch likes to write. Blog or play, she has an amazing and sometimes diabolical sense of detail.

Pssst! Don't tell her anything- she'll remember.

Too late for me. :-(